In this episode, Jesse is joined by Helio Fred Garcia, author of three books on communication. His most recent book, The Power of Communication: Skills to Build, Trust, Inspire Loyalty, and Lead Effectively, published in spring 2012.
For more than 30 years Fred has been a coach, counselor, teacher, writer, and speaker whose clients include some of the largest and best-known companies and organizations in the world. Fred is president of the crisis management firm Logos Consulting Group and executive director of the Logos Institute for Crisis Management & Executive Leadership. He has been on the New York University faculty since 1988, where he teaches in both the MBA program and the Master’s in Corporate Communication program. In this interview, Jesse and Fred discuss five of the nine fundamental leadership communication principles that are explained in the book:
- See communication as the continuation of business by other means.
- To move people, meet them where they are.
- Plan ahead and align tactics with strategy.
- Invest in continuous improvement in communication skills.
- Harness the power of language and of framing.
In addition, Fred answers several questions concerning the importance of communication in leadership, including:
- If communication is an indispensable leadership discipline, why does it seem that so few leaders invest time in building their communication competencies?
- What are the risks for a leader of not being a master at communication?
- What is the difference between framing and spin-doctoring?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
The Logos/Ethos/Pathos principle:
If you like our show, please rate us on iTunes. That makes a huge difference in helping more people discover it. We love to know your thoughts about this episode. Please submit your comments below! You can also email comments to Jesse at firstname.lastname@example.org, subscribe to him on Facebook, or follow him on Twitter.